The Honor and John Johnson (HJJ) Collegiate Scholarship assists eligible SCNV members who are graduating high school seniors who intend to pursue college full-time at an accredited institution during the upcoming academic year. Each scholarship is intended to honor a skater who represents SCNV and has shown dedication to the sport of figure skating through testing, competing, and/or maintaining a skating training regimen, and who sets consistent standards of good citizenship and sportsmanship, while achieving academically. The HJJ Collegiate Scholarship program is also intended to promote long-term membership in SCNV and to encourage figure skating after high school. All correspondence and award agreements will be generated from the personal information submitted below.
Applicants must satisfy the following:
- Be a Primary Member (full or associate) of SCNV in the current year and the two previous years;
- Demonstrate club commitment as a figure skater, such as subscribing to Club Ice, participating in Junior Board, or participating with Virginia Ice Theatre or National Blades teams;
- Be a member in good standing with U.S. Figure Skating;
- Be a high school graduating senior; and
- Plan to enroll in full-time undergraduate study at an accredited two-year or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school for the entire upcoming academic year.
Application Requirements: (1) Application form (2) High School Transcript (cumulative through 7th semester), and a 500 – 750 word essay on what skating has taught you.
Essay topic description: the applicant must write an essay consisting of 500 to 750 words that describes a lesson or lessons learned from his/her skating experience that can be applied to other areas of the skater’s life, past, present and potential future implications.
Interested students must submit the complete application form, essay and a current and complete transcript of grades which includes the 7th semester (first semester of the senior year) to SCNV Awards Committee submitted online no later than April 8, 2022 (deadline expired).
Please check again for next year’s scholarship application deadline.
2021-2022 – Collegiate Scholarship Award Recipients
|Lexi Adelstein||Mai Friedman||Megan Oria||Amelia Watson|
2020-2021 – Collegiate Scholarship Award Recipients
|Sydney Dondes||Kaitlin Molloy||Matthew P. Sperry||Alexandra Wu|
2019-2020 – Collegiate Scholarship Award Recipients
|Antonio Jose Maravilla||Bernice Trapp|
2018-2019 – Collegiate Scholarship Award Recipients
|Kimmie Nguyen||Sylvie Hautbois||–||–|
|Anusheka Khullar||Ashley Kim||Erin Lyons||Sheral Patel||Parisha Zinzuwadia|
2017-2018 – Collegiate Scholarship Award Recipients
|Caitlin Colsia||Anna Rashkover||Joanna Di Scipio|